The International Geographical Union (IGU) is an International, Non-Governmental, Professional Organization devoted to the development of the Discipline of Geography. The purposes of the IGU are primarily to promote Geography through initiating and coordinating geographical research and teaching in all countries of the world. Its work is conducted through the instruments of its Committees, Commissions and Task Forces. The IGU hosts the International Geographical Congress every four years and also promotes regional conferences and other meetings that further the objectives of the Union. The IGU also facilitates the participation of geographers in the global community of scientists through its formal affiliation as a Member Union within both the International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC).IGU was formally established in Brussels, Belgium in 1922.
ABOUT HOST UNIVERSITY
Central University of Haryana was established by Government of India in 2009 under the Central Universities Act, 2009. It is located in Mahendergarh district of Haryana state, India. It is a NAAC ACCREDITED 'A' Grade University.
To develop enlightened citizenship of a knowledge society for peace and prosperity of individuals, nation and the world through promotion of innovation, creative endeavours, and scholarly inquiry.
To serve as a beacon of change, through multi-disciplinary learning, for creation of knowledge community, by building a strong character and nurturing a value-based transparent work ethics, promoting creative and critical thinking for holistic development and self-sustenance for the people of India. The University seeks to achieve this objective by cultivating an environment of excellence in teaching, research and innovation in pure and applied areas of learning.
The objective of the University are:-
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such branches of learning as it may deem fit.
- To make special provisions for integrated courses in humanities, social sciences, science and technology in its educational programmes.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching-learning process and inter-disciplinary studies and research.
- To educate and train manpower for the development of the country.
- To establish linkages with industries for the promotion of science and technology.
- To pay special attention to the improvement of the social and economic conditions and welfare of the people, their intellectual, academic and cultural development.
ABOUT HOST DEPARTMENT
The University system comprises of Schools, equivalent to a Faculty in traditional University System. Each School is headed by a Dean and departments are under the Schools which are headed by the Head/Teacher in-charge. Schools have inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary approach with focus on both pure and applied aspects of learning. The University offers various academic programmes in 11 Schools of Studies. The School of Earth, Environment and Space Studies was established in 2014 which presently consists of two departments namely Department of Environmental Sciences and Department of Geography. Presently, the Department of Geography offers Post Graduate Programme, i.e., Master of Science (Geography).